Monday, September 29, 2008

A Ten Mile-stone

 
Posted by Picasa


Since we only logged -- I don't know -- 6 or 8-THOUSAND miles on Disney property last week I decided to try and tire my legs out a little more. And that is how I came to my very first 10-Mile road race. Regular readers know this is a relatively new distance for me. But I had enough 10+ practice runs under my iPod to give this one a try. The race benefits the Anna's Angels Foundation. The Foundation was started a few years ago by a local Mom whose daughter, Anna, has Down Syndrome and has battled leukemia. Proving the power of the volunteer Mom, this Mother runs the Foundation (and its 10-Miler, Gala, and Cookbook Sales), helps decide how the proceeds are distributed through grants, and runs the race! Mom crossed the finish line carrying a healthy 6 year old Anna. I'm happy to say I had already finished with a fairly respectable time and saw that moment.

So 10 Miles doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. Maybe November means it's half-marathon time!

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit."
Dr. George Sheehan
Runner/Writer/Philosopher

No comments: